As Christmas fast approaches our Executive Head Chef Alastair
has taken some time out to share his top tips for cooking the perfect turkey this Christmas!
Alastair, along with his team, cater for all of Titanic Belfast's 5-star events including festive party nights, gala dinners, conferences and signature events such as MTV Sounds and last year's BBC Sports Personality of the Year Red Carpet event - so he certainly knows his way around kitchen!
Titanic Turkey Tips...
- Choosing Your Turkey! Make sure you order your turkey from a local butcher for the highest quality bird.
- How Big To Buy? For a bird that is under 16lb allow 1lb meat per person. If buying a turkey above 16lb, allow ½lb per person as there is more meat to bone ratio. The smaller the turkey the easier and less time it is to cook, so if you have a large number of people to cater for – cook two birds!
- Preparation Is Key...Begin by rubbing soft butter under the skin of the turkey to keep it moist – flavoured butters can be used to add extra taste. Truss or tie the turkey lightly as the legs take longer to cook than the breast.
- Roasting Rules! Pre-heat your oven to 180°C and start the turkey off roasting upside down first – this allows it to baste itself and keeps the bird nice and juicy! Turn the bird right way up after one hour of cooking.
- Turkey Times…Allow 15 minutes per pound, for example a 16lb turkey would take 4 hours. Once cooked allow the turkey to rest for at least 20 minutes – don’t forget to add the roasting juices to your gravy for a delicious flavour boost!
Roasted Turkey Giblets
- Add the carrot onion, celery, parsley stalks, bay leaf, a few peppercorns and the roasted turkey giblets to a saucepan.
- Add 1 litre of water and bring to the boil, skimming off any scum at the top.
- Allow to simmer for 1½ hours. Strain the stock and keep separate.
- Spoon the fat from your roasting tin and discard, add a ladle of your stock to the turkey juices and mix, then strain the juices into the remainder of your turkey stock.
Let us know how you get on by posting your pictures to @TitanicBelfast
on Twitter using #EnjoyNI16 to celebrate NI Year of Food and Drink!
If you're visiting Titanic Quarter over the festive season why not pop into Bistro 401
in our grand atrium and try out our delicious seasonal Turkey, Ham & Stuffing today!