Ship Fact Files

flag
flag

Owner: Union-Castle Mail Steamship Co. Ltd.

Ship Name:

ARUNDEL CASTLE (III)

Vessel type: Passenger ship

Official No: 145175

Builder: Harland & Wolff Ltd,
Queen's Island, Belfast

Yard No: 455

Laid down: 25 November 1915

Launched: 11 September 1919

Handed over: 8 April 1921

Port & Date of Registry: London, April 1921

Managing Owner & Address: Isaac J. Newcombe & Arthur H. Milbourne (London), David Storrar (Southampton)

Description

Number of Decks: 3

Number of Masts: 2

Rigged: Schooner

Stern: Cruiser

Build: Clencher

Framework & Description of Vessel: Steel

Number of Bulkheads: -

Number of water ballast tanks: -

Dimensions

Length: 630.5 feet

Breadth: 72.5 feet

Depth: 41.5 feet

Gross Registered Tonnage: 19,023 tons

Machinery

Engine Builder: Harland & Wolff Ltd, Belfast

Engine Type: 4 X Parson's steam turbines, single reduction, geared to two shafts

Cylinders: n/a

Stroke: n/a

Nominal Horse Power: 3,055

Boilers

Description: Cylindrical multi-tubular

Number: -

Iron or Steel: Steel

Pressure when loaded: -

Screw: Twin

Speed: 18 knots

Signal Letters: K. H. V. L.

Notes

Arundel Castle was the last four funnelled liner constructed by Harland & Wolff. (see: Advert Archive) Her sister, Windsor Castle (Yard No. 456C), was also designed by Harland & Wolff, but the pressure of post-war work led to the contract for her construction (the very last four funnel liner built) being placed with John Brown & Co., on Clydebank.
In November 1936 Arundel Castle returned to Belfast for a major rebuild and refit. The vessel re-entered service in October 1936 after being lengthened, her four funnels replaced with two and her bow altered to bring her up-to-date and looking more like Harland & Wolff's motor ship designs.

stamp