To celebrate the festivities we've picked out some fun facts and interesting trivia about Chinese New Year and Chinese links to Titanic!
- Chinese New Year... Festivities usually start the day before the New Year and continue until the Lantern Festival on the 15th day of the new year.
- 2016 - The Year of the Monkey.. This is the ninth animal in the Chinese Zodiac, and it is said that those born in the the Year of the Monkey are lively, curious, mischievous and are often seen as very intelligent, especially in their career and wealth!
- VIP Visitors.. Titanic Belfast has welcomed VIP visitors from all across the world, with Mr Yang Zhijin (Chinese Vice Minister of Culture) being one of the most recent! In total we have welcomed over 2.7 million visitors from over 145 countries - including approximately 25,000 Chinese visitors!
- Celebrity 'Monkeys'.. Those born under the sign of the monkey include one of SS Nomadic's most famous passengers, Elizabeth Taylor, as well as Celine Dion, singer of the 1997 film TITANIC's theme song 'My Heart Will Go On'. Other famous celebrities include Diana Ross, Michael Douglas, Will Smith and Halle Berry.
- TITANIC 3D.. The film's release in April 2012 made a whopping $67 million in China during it's opening weekend, compared to only $17 million in the USA for the same period! Director James Cameron launched the TITANIC 3D Blu-Ray from Titanic Belfast the following year, describing the exhibition as "magnificent and dramatic".
- Titanic's Chinese Passengers.. It is believed there were eight Chinese passengers aboard RMS Titanic, all of them sailors who found themselves out of work because of the coal strike in Britain. They all travelled on a single ticket (Number 1601) costing £59, 9s, 11d. All 8 of the sailors made it into the lifeboats, but only six survived.
- Strike a Pose at Titanic Belfast.. 'I Supermodel', China's version of America's Next Top Model and one of the world’s biggest reality TV shows, came to Titanic Belfast in 2015! The models not only faced their penultimate challenge of the series in the Titanic Belfast’s kitchens - recreating a bespoke five star menu prepared by our Executive Head Chef Alastair, but also got to enjoy our award-winning Titanic Experience exhibition!